Thursday, September 8, 2011

Chicken Noodle Casserole

Need a quick and easy dinner with plenty of leftovers? Look no further than the almighty casserole! Today mom made chicken noodle casserole and made some biscuits as a side dish. Yum!

Casserole is pretty simple too. All you need is canned chicken, a bag of pasta, and family sized can of Cream of Chicken, and a little milk. If you don't like canned chicken, you can always use canned tuna.

Fill a pot with water and put it on the stove. Put a little olive oil and salt (MUST use salt to flavor the noodles, a step my mom often misses) in the water, and set to boil.  Once the water is boiling, added the noodles, stir occasionally until cooked. Turn off the heat. Drain the noodles and put back in the pot. Stir in a family sized can of Cream of Chicken Soup and 2 large cans of Canned Chicken. Add a little milk to the mixture and transfer the contents to an oven-safe baking dish or casserole dish. Top the casserole with crushed up potato chips or cheese. Place in the oven at 325 degrees until the potato chips are brown or the cheese has melted. Done.

Note: I prefer putting my noodles back in the pot they cooked in and stirring everything together before putting them in the casserole dish. This is because I'm spill-prone, and the pot is really big so I don't have to worry about stuff spilling out of the sides. If you happen to be good at mixing things in a smaller dish, by all means, go ahead and just put everything in the casserole dish and stir. Just remember, the heat should not be on. You do not need to cook anything on the stove after you have drained the noodles. Stir the ingredients, put them in the casserole dish, put it in the oven. I learned this the hard way.

Casserole is versatile and has lots of room to experiment. For example, my mom likes to add a can of corn to it. Some people I know add broccoli. I like adding parsley, and if I want spicy, I'll either add red pepper flakes or sriracha sauce. Have fun creating your own unique casserole!

3 comments:

  1. Another thing I like to do is take Pilsbury biscuit mix and layer it on top of the casserole. Or mix in garlic, carrots, potatoes, spinach, pretty much any veggie. For leftovers, I more often than not make a sandwich out of it with a piece of buttered bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, it's very versatile. There's no wrong way to make it, just add noodles! xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister-in-law made this for dinner. Nomz.

    ReplyDelete